Frequently Asked Questions about Arborists.
What is aboriculture?
Arboriculture is the art and science of planting and caring of trees and other woody plants including shurbs and vines.
What is an arborist?
An arborist is a suitably qualified and experienced professional in the field of aboriculture. Unlike a tree feller or tree lopper who often looks for the quickest and in many cases the crudest method of pruning or removing trees, an arborist has the expertise and skills to safely manage a tree to ensure not only the safety of your property but also the safety and health of the tree. This means that the tree wont weaken or die as a result of poor maintenance and then need removal - costing you more.
What is a tree surgeon?
"Tree surgeon" is another (informal) name for an arborist which is derived from the precision and care taken when pruning a tree. When a tree is pruned only the necessary branches are removed to ensure the trees recovery and continual growth hence the term "tree surgery".
Why hire an arborist?
There are many good reasons to choose an arborist over the bloke down the road with a chain-saw:
- Properly-cared-for trees are an attractive feature to your property as well as adding value to it. An arborist has the qualifications and expertise necessary to properly care for a tree and give the right advice on pruning or removal options.
- An arborist will hold the necessary insurances to ensure your safety and that of your property, third party injury and injury to workers should there be an accident.
- An arborist will have the right tools for the job from saws, to travel towers and heavy machinery used to move large stumps or grind them down.
- Removing and even pruning a tree can be a dangerous task and arborists are trained to work safely.
How much does tree maintenance or removal cost?
It is not easy to provide a "quick price" over the phone for tree maintenance and/or tree removal due to the complexity of the work which is why an arborist will always ask to come out and inspect the site before providing a quote. There are many factors to consider when pricing tree maintenance or removal which include:
- the size and type of tree.
- the site and available access. Is it near powerlines or a public area?
- the type of equipment required.
- any special equipment required.
- the number of workers required.
- whether or not you need stump and or root removal
All our quotations are free and provided in advance so you'll know exactly what work needs to be done and what it will cost.